- Experience - 3 to 5 years
- Degree - 4 Year Degree
- Other Great Industries
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., one of the nation's largest apparel and home furnishings retailers, is on a mission to ensure every shopping experience is worth the customer's time, money and effort. Whether shopping jcp.com or visiting one of over 1,000 store locations across the United States and Puerto Rico, customers will discover a broad assortment of products from a leading portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Supporting this value proposition is the warrior spirit of over 100,000 JCPenney associates worldwide, who are focused on the Company's three strategic priorities of strengthening private brands, becoming a world-class omnichannel retailer and increasing revenue per customer.
As the General Manager you will create an environment of outstanding customer service. You will drive sales and profit through execution of an overall store strategy; including leading and engaging the team and delivering on operational excellence standards.
- Customer Service - Models and holds team accountable for outstanding customer service. Engages associates and customers to facilitate/deliver an enriching customer experience.
- Sales – Reviews targeted sales and expense tools to quickly identify and prioritize areas of opportunity; sets team direction to maximize sales and deliver profitability targets. Actively participates in peer group discussions to identify trends and/or barriers to business performance.
- Team Development – Actively walks the floor and coaches in the moment to enhance each leader’s ability to execute as well as develop their own respective teams. Understands the strengths and opportunities of each direct report and frequently conducts coaching conversations.
- Team Recognition and Motivation – Proactively identifies the most effective ways to recognize associates that achieve superior performance and motivates them to deliver on the company strategy.
- Specialty Businesses – Leads the Salon Manager and/or Beauty Manager and engages those associates to deliver on client service, sales, and profit metrics.
- Performance Standards – Consistently meets established performance standards, including but not limited to product and service sales, customer services, profit, productivity, and attendance.
Skills & Experience
- Work Experience – 3-5 years experience as a Retail General Manager, ideally in a big-box retailer or in multi-unit specialty retail
- Education – Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
- Drives Performance - Holds self and others accountable to a higher standard to achieve results; provides feedback, visibility and recognition to the team.
- Strategic Vision – Identifies strategies and objectives; provides clear expectations and shares rationale behind decisions.
- Develops Talent – Builds a diverse and high performing team; provides feedback and stretch assignments to foster growth; empowers the team to make critical decisions; rewards and recognizes efforts and frequently discusses future opportunities and development plans.
- Practices Candor – An approachable and unguarded leader that shares honest and constructive feedback with team; sincere with communication.